Monday 16 October 2017

Aadhaar-SIM linking fraud: Man loses Rs 1.3 lakh from his salary account

The Rs 1.3 lakh fraud allegedly happened in the name of linking Aadhaar with SIM. According to one Shashwat Gupta, he lost Rs 1.3 lakhs from his ICICI Bank salary account due to Aadhaar-SIM linking fraud.

This story gives a big lesson to all of us. The Rs 1.3 lakh fraud allegedly happened in the name of linking Aadhaar with SIM. According to one Shashwat Gupta, he lost Rs 1.3 lakhs from his ICICI Bank salary account due to Aadhaar-SIM linking fraud. Shashwat Gupta has written a detailed post on his Facebook account sharing what really happened and how he lost Rs 1.3 lakh from his salary account; the money he had saved for using during the worst times of his life. Shashwat also questioned about the security of his ICICI account. He is demanding that ICICI Bank should refund every single penny which he lost in this incident.


Below is the FULL FB POST revealing what happened with Shashwat:

“And in a blitz, my salary account was looted.

Hi guys! I just lost an amount of Rupees 1.3 lacs from my ICICI Bank salary account. A fraud, claiming to be from Airtel, gave me an ultimatum that Airtel would deactivate my SIM and block my number forever as I had not linked my Aadhar card to my SIM. He urged me to message my SIM card number to 121 (Official Airtel Service Number) and my SIM would be reactivated without any hassle. Little did I know that the fraudster would clone my SIM and loot all my hard earned money and also take away Investments (Fixed Deposits) that I had planned on using during the worst times of my life.

Is this all that was required to break my ICICI Bank Account? Is that how vulnerable technology have left us? I always thought that our accounts are well protected by layers of security. I was under the impression that a person would require my account details or debit card or some sensitive information that only I have, that I have been safeguarding every minute of my life, to break my account. But the truth is all that sensitive stuff is already floating around the criminal world waiting to be raided, as our beloved banks like ICICI Bank haven’t been able to keep what must only be ours, OURS!

It is unbelievable how easy it has become to steal from our accounts. All the fraudsters are doing is trying every trick they can think of to get that one tiny key that would break open a safe that seem to be safeguarded by hundred different locks.

The saddest part of this is, after the loot on day one, ICICI Bank was not able to protect the balance amount. Even after 18 hours of raising Service Request ( S/R 497438380 ) and repeated follow ups on customer care and branch, the Bank was not able to freeze my balance and as a result early next morning the fraudster was easily able to walk away with the remainder amount. Dear ICICI Bank, are your services supposed to end in crisis or are you supposed relieve the customers’ grievances and prevent further damage?

ICICI Bank needs to understand that a fraudster breaks much more than an account with his activities, he breaks a persons’ life.

I feel that the Bank has failed to protect my account effectively and are completely responsible for my losses. I hence demand ICICI Bank to refund every single penny I’ve lost in this incident.
I would also like to speak out to my friends here, guys please be careful and wary of these frauds. The people who we think are securing us, are actually the ones screwing us.”


Shashwat has tagged these profiles in the post too. “ICICI Bank Arun Jaitley Ravi Shankar Prasad Digital India Piyush Goyal Reserve Bank of India Narendra Modi #fraud #ICICIBank Aditi Mallick The Times of India TIMES NOW Hindustan Times MumbaiMirror.com DNA India Airtel India My Malishka DailyO Mumbai Police”

Reacting to the incident ICICI bank said:

ICICI Bank Hi Shashwat Gupta, we deeply regret the inconvenience caused to you. We have made a note of your SR number. Our official will get in touch with you.
LikeShow More Reactions
75
6 October at 19:15
Airtel has also responded to the incident:

Airtel India Hi! Please be informed that as per the government initiative program it is advised not to share any kind of sensitive information to anyone over any kind of platforms as it may lead to fraudulent activities against the account. Further, request you to immediately report the query to the local authority. Thank you, Shivani R
LikeShow More Reactions
17
6 October at 20:04
“Hi! Please be informed that as per the government initiative program it is advised not to share any kind of sensitive information to anyone over any kind of platforms as it may lead to fraudulent activities against the account. Further, request you to immediately report the query to the local authority. Thank you, Shivani R,” Airtel’s official FB profile wrote.

(Source: FE)




No comments:

Post a Comment